Thursday, May 13, 2010

Game Mechanics

So, you're a non believer, huh? Well, here is one study that suggests there might be some reality to the existence of psychokinesis (PK) by Princeton Engineering Anomalies research project of Princeton University (1997).

There is that, and then against it is that episode of Myth Busters that proved it is a myth. No, just kidding, I don't remember what kind of psychic ability Myth Busters was trying to disprove, but still, this project will be its own little study into the apparent phenomenon.

I ran the numbers real quick, and if you're just 51% likely to win a coin flip (random generation of a 1 or a 0), then you probability of winning a point, or winning at least 501 out of 1000 coin flips, becomes over 70% (about 71.6%). That makes a big difference. So, the probability of winning a game goes up even higher, and a set even higher, and a match even higher (I'm too lazy to do the math right now, I have a game to make!)

Ok, if someone wants to do the math, that is another way to contribute. I would very much appreciate it.

So, if someone does have an advantage, it should become apparent. I hypothesize that people will be able to beat the computer consistently. This alone will be a great achievement if it is true. Further, I hypothesize that some players will be better at this than others, and will be able to consistently win against other players. Lastly, if I could show that this is a learnable skill, that players actually get better at this game the more they play, that would blow my mind. I would love that so much.

In order to track this last part, it will be vital to make sure I date stamp all game data recorded. So, right now I'm just getting the database and game scripts set up. I hope I can get something done before someone needs my help doing statistics homework ;).

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment